A little about me

Skincare is a hobby for me. The hobby started out of the necessity because of the allergy and dermatitis I’ve suffered since I was young. However, the hobby only became a passion after the birth of my son, who was diagnosed with eczema as a chubby two-month old. In between, I managed to graduate from a Chinese medical school, pick up two masters degrees, earn a Ph.D. in organic chemistry and, just for the fun of it, throw in a J.D. in the mix, pass the patent bar and a state bar, and finally, settle down as a patent lawyer.

Seeing my son suffering from eczema is anything but settling. Millions visits to doctor’s offices only brought temporary relief and more medications. To keep his skin moistened, I lathered him with lotions and creams. I started researching ingredient lists of the store bought lotions and creams finally putting my decades-worth of scientific training into good use. I found myself picturing the chemical structures of the additives and preservatives in my mind whenever I read their chemical names on a bottle, while recalling the smell of the chemical compounds in the chemistry lab. My reluctance to spread those preservative laden products over my son’s chapped skin prompted the first bottle of home-made creams. Hence, the hobby evolved into the passion.

I started paying attention to not only the products I use on my son but also the products that I use on myself. Gradually, I started making my own skin balms, creams, facial masks, and toners using ingredients I find in my local organic markets and, sometimes, flowers from my yard. My formulation changes depending on the season, my skin condition, and my physiological cycles.

I don't believe in completely going natural. I am a scientist in heart. I have enough faith in research and science that big companies have carried out--I still use store bought products. I am simply becoming more informed and more selective.

This blog is an attempt to share and learn from others who have the similar experience.

Thanks for reading!

Connie @ www.cherruby.com

Comments