Skincare Basics— Facials

You should do a facial at least once a week.  If you prefer, go to a salon.  If you want to do it at home, here are some basic facial steps.  This is a routine I use for my at-home facial.  The sequence of steps could be changed depending on the product you use and your skin condition.  I will point out the possible changes along the way.

First, warm your face with a hot towel.  Or you can use a facial sauna.  Massage your face with facial oil.  It could be olive oil, jojoba oil, avocado oil or any other skin oil of your choice.   In the future post, I will teach you how to make facial oil.  Make circles around your eyes, and on other parts of your face and neck, use upward strokes.  Message for 5 to 10 minutes.  Then, wipe the oil off with a cotton pad soaked with a cleanser toner, or, you can use a cotton pad soaked with an astringent.  Please note that if you will use a message cream later in the procedure, skip this step entirely.

Second, wash you face with a facial cleaner, follow it with an exfoliating step.  You might need to experiment around a little in order to find an exfoliate/facial scrub that fits your need.  If you have problem prone skin, use a medicated exfoliate or something containing AHA.  In the future post, I will teach you how to make your homemade facial scrub.  After messaging for 3-5 minutes, wash your face clean.

 Third, use a mask.  It could be any mask of your choice-clay mask, peel off mask, or gel mask.  If your skin tends to have breakouts, I suggest using an aspirin mask--it has excellent peeling function.  In the future post, I will teach you how to make aspirin mask in your home.  After the mask, you will notice that your skin is especially smooth and tender. 
After that, if you have not done the first step, you should message your face now with a nourishing message cream for 5 to 10 minutes.  Then, wipe off.  Follow this with the nighttime skincare routine (see my past post).

One last note, persistence is essential to skincare.  Skincare is not magic, your skin will not become better after one treatment.  Once, I did a facial for my aunt, she was really excited right after I finished.  I still remembered her standing in front of the mirror and admiring her skin.  And second day, I got a panic call from her – the magic was gone.  I did not know how to explain to her that the effect was only temporary.  The point is that-- don’t become discouraged if you do not see immediately change after one treatment; grow a habit of skincare, and your patience will pay off.

Thanks for reading!

Comments