Exercise and Skincare

Excise is essential to a good skin.  Sweat will do wonders to your skin and to your psychological health too.  Looking young and feeling young is more than skin deep.  Your skin condition, your posture, your movement, and your general alertness all contribute to how you look.  Here is a quick run through on why exercise is good for you.

First, proper amount of exercise increases human growth hormone level in your blood stream.  In adult, the human growth hormone is in charge of turnover of muscle, bone and collagen.  Collagen is the protein padding under the skin.  As we age, the production of collagen decreases, which directly leads to wrinkle formation and sagging.  That’s why you will notice that young people tend to have softer facial features than older people.  As people age, the facial feature tends to be more angular and sculptured, providing a type of look that is often described has “harsh.”  Of course, you can always opt for collagen injection to make up the lost collagen.  However, if you can naturally boost the product of collagen and postponing the sign of aging, why not?

What else affects the amount of collagen under skin? Chronic stress.  Chronic stress causes prolonged cortisol secretion in body.  In laboratory rats, cortisol-induced collagen loss in skin is ten times greater than any other tissue.  Therefore, next time, when you stressed out, stop and think about do you really want this nasty stress hormone strip off the collagen padding under your skin?

Exercise can counter effect of the stress.  Intense exercise can help increase the concentration of norepinephrine in the blood.  The release of catecholamines like norepinephrine during exercise improves mood and reduces stress level, which positively impact your skin condition. 

One thing that that I’ve learned through life is that nothing is hard as long as you grow a habit of doing it.  If you read my past posts on skincare routine, you might groan “oh, gosh, this is too hard; I can’t remember all these steps.”  Well, if you make an effort of doing the routine, pretty soon you will find that the routine becomes a subconscious habit.  You no longer have to remember what to do.  You subconscious memory will direct you through the steps effortlessly. 

Same applies to the exercise—the key is to establish an excise routine and stick to it.  You might have read about or been recommended with many great exercises.  You try out one thing today and something else tomorrow.  The exercise never becomes your muscle memory.  Every time, when you exercise, you try to remember the steps and moves.  Gradually, the efforts becomes too much.  You quit.  Yes, I went through that too many times.  Finally, I settled into a set of step aerobics routine.  Every night, while watching Jay Leno’s Tonight Show (yeah, I love Jay’s monologue), I put my step in front of the TV and start jumping through my routine moves.  I don’t have to remember—my muscle remembers all the moves, allowing me to enjoy Jay’s jokes.  Pretty cool, huh?

One last note, I don’t care how great some exercises are, only pick those that attract your natural inclination.  We all know that swimming is a great exercise.  I really tried hard to like swimming.  When in the graduate school, I swam everyday and swam through pretty much the entire pregnancy period when I had my son.  However, I just don’t like swim—I don’t like all the prep work before and after swimming, I don’t like cold water, and I don’t like my skin smells like chlorine.  So I quit.  What’s the lesson? Don’t push yourself to like something just because someone else likes it.  In order to grow a habit, you have to enjoy doing it.  Otherwise, you are just adding stress to your life.  And the odd is that eventually you will quit.  If you don’t like swimming, don’t do it; find something you like--be it step aerobics, running, dancing, kickboxing, or yoga.  Start an exercise routine, grow a habit of doing it, and stick to it.

Thanks for reading!


Comments