Skincare tips for travel-maniacs


I travel a lot for the job, so I try to travel light.  To cut down the bottles/jars that I have to bring, I try to figure out skincare formula on the fly so I can still care for my skin without access to my regular skincare collections.  I do bring two things with me: a mix of Vitamin pills, which help to boost the immune system, and a mix of tea bags including green tea and various herbal teas such as lemon rose and chamomile.  You don’t have to bring tea bags because most of the hotel will at least provide green tea and chamomile.

Here are some tips for those of you who are on the road often.

When I order meals for room service, I am usually provided with a small jar of honey and a few slices of lemon with tea.  You can easily make a green tea facial scrub, a honey chamomile mask, and a lemon chamomile toner right out of your dinner/breakfast tray.

Cherruby green tea facial scrub

After finishing the tea, squeeze dry and open up the tea bag.  Mix the tea grinds with a little body lotion and just a small drop of shampoo to make a consistent semi-fluid paste.  Hotel rooms usually have both in small bottles in bathroom.  Apply the paste over your face and scrub with small upward strokes and circles for about five minutes.  Wash off with warm water.  Now, you should have a clean face ready for the nourishment from a honey chamomile mask.

Cherruby honey chamomile mask

In a tea cup, add a table spoon of honey.  Then add a little hot water to dilute the honey so it’s easily spreadable.  Open upon a chamomile tea bag and pore the chamomile grinds into the diluted honey.  Let the chamomile soak up the liquid and soften.  Then, add a little more hot water to make a spreadable paste.  If you have normal or oily skin, squeeze into the paste a few drops of lemon juice.  Mix well to provide a mask paste.  Spread a thick layer of the mask paste over your face, draw a tub of hot water, and enjoy a hot bath while wait for the mask to dry.  If you want, throw in a bag of green tea or chamomile into the bath water.  Well, that’s my routine.  You can certainly skip the hot bath part, I wouldn’t recommend it though.

Honey is anti-bacterial and good for acne.  Even if you don't have acne, this recipe provides a great moisturizing mask. Chamomile has been found to lighten skin tone, reduce skin inflammation, and relieve eye fatigue and dark circles.  The mask is effective in relieving stress on your skin caused by travelling.

Cherruby lemon chamomile toner

Dilute your chamomile tea down to almost colorless.  You can use the concentrated tea—I just don’t like the yellow color of the tea.  Squeeze in lemon juice.  Mix well and then chill the mixture in the small fridge in your hotel room.  Soak a cotton pad with the chilled liquid and wipe your face as a face toner.

Cherruby Vitamin C toner

Dissolving an effervescent Vitamin C tablet in a cup of water, add half a table spoon of honey, and squeeze in a few drops of lemon juice.  Mix well and use as an on-the-road facial cleaner and toner.   I often carry a small bottle of the liquid (less than 3 ounces) in my purse with a few cotton pads.  The air in airplanes is usually very dry.  For long distance flight, I use the liquid both as a cleaner and a moisturizing toner.

There are a few more formulas using wines and beers, which are abundant on the road.  I will provide those in future posts.

Thanks for reading.

Connie

Comments