Facial Cleaning Naturally for a Beautiful Skin



My son recently told me “mom, I feel greasy all the time.”  For a teenage whose hormone is raging and oil gland is ramping up into full production, I understand the feeling.  I still remember the good old days when I used soap to clean my face.  I loved the flowery smell of the soap and the crispy after-cleaning feel.  But I know now that feeling great “clean” sensation is deceptively bad for my skin.

Human skin is not meant to be stripped of all its oils.  We need an oily layer (chemically speaking, a lipophilic layer) to seal moisture in and prevent us from drying out like an autumn leaf under a scorching sun.  In fact, skin conditions such as Eczema and Psoriasis are caused by the defective moisture barrier function of skin. 

On the other hand, over production of skin oil mixed with various skin secretions and debris (if not removed properly) will lead to acne and pimple.  So, yes, you do need to keep your skin clean to avoid certain skin problems. 

The store bought solution for our skin cleaning dilemma is the skin cleaners laden with surfactants. The most common ones include anionic surfactants and cationic surfactants.  Anionic surfactants are negatively charged and serve to foam and lathe.  They can be rinsed off easily, together with your skin oil of course.  Examples includes sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate and sodium sulphosuccinate.  Cationic surfactants are positively charged.  Examples includes trimethyl dodecyl ammonium chloride.  Both types of surfactants tend to over dry the skin and upset skin pH and moisture balance.

There is a movement recently on using only oil to clean the skin.  Various blends of oils including olive oil, coconut oil, and avocado oil have been suggested.  The rationale is this: because we are trying to remove the excess oil from the skin and because oil dissolves oil (yes, as an organic chemist myself, I know that probably better than anyone), oil must be the best cleaner for our skin. 

There is a fundamental flaw in this rationale.  The rationale assumes that we are trying to remove only skin oil from our skin.  But skin oil is wonderful for our skin.  In fact, in my skin care regime, I always look for oils with a chemical composition that is closest to human skin oil as a moisturizer.  

During facial cleaning, what we are trying to remove is the other secretions and debris from the skin cells—inorganic salts, lactates, urea, and minerals from our sweat glands and proteins from the dead skin cells. These secretions and debris often mixed in the skin oil clog pores and cause inflammations.  What I can tell you is—oil does not dissolve inorganic salts.  If you stick with an oil-cleaning only regime, I can assure you that your breakout will worsen.

So what’s my solution?  I went to several ancient Chinese herbal medicine books.  I figured that, thousands of years ago when there weren’t all those synthetic surfactants around (since I and my organic chemists peers weren’t around yet!), women in those times must have figured out a way to take care of their skin naturally.  And, I’ve been following those recipes ever since. 

Most of the recipes I was able to find contain bioactive ingredients such as angelica (for anti-inflammation), ginseng (anti-oxidant), Dansheng (promote capillary circulation), and cleaning ingredients such as mung beans, soy beans, taro roots, wild yams, chickpeas, and yucca powders—all contain low amounts of saponins.  I have discussed these bioactive ingredients in the past.  You can always replace these ingredients with other readily available ones having similar bioactivity.  For example, instead of using angelica powder for anti-inflammatory effect, I use ginger powder in my formula.  I still use mung bean and soy bean powder but not as the base of my formula, which is usually called for in those ancient recipes.   Instead, I use oat meal as the base for my formula. 

Oatmeal has well-known and, most importantly, well researched benefits to skin.  Oatmeal's skin benefits come from compounds within the oats called avenanthramides. According to a study in the November 2008 issue of Archives of Dermatological Research, the avenanthramides in oatmeal help soothe and relieve various types of skin irritation and inflammation. The February 2007 issue of the Journal of Drugs in Dermatology reports that oatmeal also contains chemicals called saponins, which are responsible for its cleansing properties, as saponins have a "foaming" characteristic, according to Cornell University. It is this foaming characteristic that helps lift oil and dirt from the skin.

To spice things up a bit, I almost always add a “flavoring” ingredient to my facial wash powder.  For the first two weeks of my physiological cycle when my skin is calm and nice, I use a wash powder containing rose power.  The formula is pink colored and smelled divinely.  For the last two weeks of my physiological cycle when the oil glands are more active and skin is more acne prone, I use a wash powder contains lemon peel and orange peel powders and has increased amount of ginger powder.  Citric acid and limonene in lemon and orange peel combined with ginger’s anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidative, and circulation promoting effects works wonderfully for pre-menstrual problem prone skin.

So here is an ingredient list for a facial wash power I have been using:
Oatmeal powder  
80g
Moon bean powder 
10g
Ginger root powder 
10g
Soybean powder 
10g
Pearl powder
5g
Rose powder
5g
Seaweed powder
small amount to help the powder to form a nice paste when mixed with water in your palm



Thanks for reading.
Connie


Comments