Hot Yoga and skincare

I have been practicing yoga for over 17 years--well, intermittently.  Several months ago, just for fun, I started hot yoga practice.  Have to admit that I fell in love with the practice immediately.  I like practicing in the hot and humid environment—reminded me of the place I grew up.  And, I like the feeling of the sweat pouring out every pore of my body.  However, after first few weeks of practices (when I essentially went to the yoga studio every day), I noticed that I started to have breakouts on my skin.  Of course, I went online and started researching on the hot yoga's effects on skin.  Here is what I found.

Hot yoga is good for your skin, according to most of the articles I read.  The heat improves your pulse rate.  At a room temperature of 104 degrees, your pulse rate will increase by approximately 30 percent.  The boost in pulse rate lets the heart pump double about of blood every minute, which leads to increase blood circulation to your skin.  This leads to increased nutrient supply as well as hydration to the skin.    

In addition, the heat and exercise stimulate sweating.  The sweat might help shielding the skin from bacterial infection.  Researchers at Eberhard-Karls University in Germany found that sweat contains a protein called Dermcidin, which battles harmful bacteria like Staphylococcus aureus, also known as “Staph.”  Some articles also suggest that the sweat detoxifies the skin by washing out the “clogging pollutants and toxins” in the pores.

How about breakouts?  My research seems to indicate that breakouts are mostly caused by hygiene issues.  When I first started practicing hot yoga, I liked to let my hair loose and had to constantly remove hair strands from my sweaty face, which led to my hands touching my face regularly during the practice.  Some articles suggested that habit to be the primary culprit for the breakouts observed by some hot yoga practitioners.  

Here are some tips I was able to find to help manage hygiene issues relating to the hot yoga practice:

-       -  Wash your face and hands before class.
     - Be conscious of minimizing any contact of your hands on your face. 
-        - Tie up your hair when practicing hot yoga.  I did notice that, ever since I tied up my hair when practicing, I no longer have the breakout issues.
-        - You will sweat profusely during the practice.  Resisting the urge of wipe away the sweat (only wipe if you have sweat sting your eyes).  This would minimize the contact of tower with your skin.  Also, keep a clean face cloth for wiping your face only.
-        - Use a clean full size towel to place across the top of your mat.  Also use a fresh towel for each practice.
-        - Always wash after your hot yoga practice.  For me, I always have a facial after a hot yoga practice.  The pores are already open—it’s a perfect time for a deeply hydrating and nurturing facial. 

Thanks for reading.

Connie.


Comments