Cosmetic Acupuncture for a beautiful skin and a better wellbeing

Acupuncture is a component of the health care system of China that can be traced back at least 2,500 years. The general theory of acupuncture is based on the premise that there are patterns of energy flow (Qi), the Meridian System, through the body that are essential for health.  Disruptions of this flow are believed to be responsible for disease. Acupuncture may correct imbalances of flow at identifiable points close to the skin (acupuncture points). 

Many years ago, I was studying at a westernized medical school in China.  From little information I learned about the traditional Chinese medicine in my school, the acupuncture fascinated me.  Then my cousin, an accomplished traditional Chinese medical doctor, sent me a graph print of the Acupuncture Meridian System, which (please remember) was generated by Chinese herbalists from ancient times.  I saw a striking similarity between the meridian system and the central nervous system as I learned in modern medicine.  That was enough for me to get myself enrolled into an acupuncture training program with a large hospital in Shanghai area—I must know more. 

The experiences in the acupuncture training program were priceless.  As an acupuncture trainee/intern (because of my medical background, the hospital was kind enough to categorize my learning as a medical intern and allowed me to have the prescription right), I worked on patients and gained first hand real life acupuncture experience.  I saw improvements of patients’ conditions through acupuncture treatments and was thoroughly convinced of the effectiveness of acupuncture treatment.

This post is about cosmetic acupuncture, a relatively new phenomenon in US but a very old one in China.   Based on my past experience with acupuncture, I have no doubt that cosmetic acupuncture is an effective way of increasing blood circulation to the skin,  promoting collagen production, increasing muscle tone, increasing skin elasticity  and therefore reducing wrinkles.  In addition, based on my past research regarding the production of EGF (epidermal growth factor), which is essential for collagen formation, I do believe that acupuncture needles cause microtrauma in the skin, which increases blood flow and the production of collagen and elastin.

Here is a summary of cosmetic acupuncture treatment plans from a traditional Chinese medicine book:
  • For treating/whitening dull skin, acupuncture these points: Zusanli, Hegu, GongSun, Tai Chong, Shengmeng, Xinyu, Ganyu, and Piyu.  For each treatment, select 2 to 4 points, leave the needles in for 30 minutes, 10 times per course of treatment.
  • For wrinkle reduction and increasing skin elasticity, acupuncture these points: Xinyu, GanYu, Shenshu, Xinjian, Sanyinjiao, zhaohai, Zusanli, Hegu, Zhongwan, Fengchi, Sizhukong, Taibai, Yingxiang, and Chengjiang.  For each treatment, select 4 to 6 points, leave the needle for 30 minutes, every other day, 10 times per course of treatment.
  • For improving complexion and skin hydration, acupuncture these points: Xinyu, Xiaochangyu, Ganyu, the Shengmeng, GuanYuan, Taixi, Xuehai, Geyu, Taichong, Hegu, and Neiguan.  For each treatment, select 4-6 points, leave the needle in for 30 minutes, every other day, 10 times per course of treatment.
  • For full body holistic anti-aging, acupuncture these points: Zusanli, Sanyinjiao, Taixi, GuanYuan, Xinyu, GanYu, and GuanYuanYu. When acupuncturing, leave the needles in for 30 minutes, every other day, 10 times per course of treatment.

Here are some of the results you may expect from a Cosmetic Acupuncture:
  • Skin becomes more delicate and fair
  • Reduction of wrinkles
  • Reduction of fine lines and deeper lines
  • Reduction of bagginess
  • Rduction of sagginess
  • Lifting of droopy eyelids 
  • Clearing or reduction of age spots 
  • Improvement of facial concourse and skin tone

Thanks for reading.

Connie


Comments